Staircase cabinets


When we moved to our current house, we changed the layout of the ground floor in order to get a more logical kitchen and dining space. For this a wall was removed and a new wall was built up again in a slightly different location. Furthermore, the staircase’s straight bottom half was modified to have a 90 degrees turn instead. As a result we ended up with a small niche between the new wall and the staircase.

Some time ago I was introduced into Sketchup by a colleague of mine, so I decided to make a technical drawing of the cabinets I wanted to make (red, in the drawing below).

Technical drawing
Design of the cabinets

The plan is to have a mains socket in every cabinet, such that we can plug in lighting, phone chargers, or a hifi set for example. The cabinets should get the same finish as our walls, which means it will get plastered once the construction is finished.

Wooden skeleton
Wooden skeleton

So above is what the wooden skeleton looks like, half finished. A thick plywood panel will be shifted in at the right side between the cabinets and the staircase, and will hopefully be strong enough to attach an armrail to.

Since the electric wiring needs to be installed first, I leave it open for now and cover all wooden surface in plasterboard first.

Covering everything in plasterboard
Covering everything in plasterboard

Now it’s time to drill holes for the mains sockets and to start installing the required electrical wiring. After that, I continue covering the remaining wooden surface in plasterboard.

At this point I’m ready to call in the plasterer. And what an amazing work he did. Especially considering the depth of the cabinets and the fact that the right-handed plasterer needed to do almost everything with his left hand. We’re really happy with the result!

Plastered and painted
Plastered and painted

After the wall had dried for several days, it was time to paint it. For the inside of the cabinets we used wall paint that can easily be cleansed and scrubbed.

Mains sockets

Subsequently, the mains sockets could be mounted, to finish things up!

The final product
The final product

It was only after we replaced our dark laminate floor by a glued PVC floor (see above picture) that we really started filling the cabinets with things and started using it. For now there’s just random stuff in there. We’re still in the process of moving stuff around until they receive a final spot, but the cabinets have already proven to be very useful. We’re also really happy with the mains sockets in the top four cabinets – for lighting, but also to have a central place to charge all kinds of devices.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you agree to their use.